I have been told on occasion my instructions here could be clearer. Though I’ve been meaning to rewrite some of them or do video tutorials, I just haven’t found the time. Luckily, my Aromatherapist friend Robin Schiller-Kessler took the initiative, built my “Magical Couscousiere” still, and recorded the process step by step.
I named it the Magical Couscousiere because it can do so many things.
- With it you can distill essential oils and alcohol.
- The bottom pot can be used as a traditional water bath or Bain Marie.
- Using the insert one can gently warm formulations using the steam from below.
- You can perform hydro distillation by adding your aromatic material directly to the water.
- And you can run steam distillations using the basket.
- It can produce high-quality essential oils and is a great introduction to the art of distillation where one can learn from experience before choosing an appropriate ready-made still.
Here is a link to her PDF in which she explains clearly where to get the materials, how to construct and how to operate this versatile little still.