A Recipe for making Candied Wild Ginger using fresh rhizomes
- -250 Grams, or 1 heaping cup of washed and cleaned Wild Ginger roots cut to 1/2 to 2 inch lengths
- -500 Ml. or 2 cups water
- -500 Grams or 2 cups white sugar
- -extra sugar for coating
- -This recipe can be doubled or tripled easily. It yields in its basic form, about 2 cups or 500 grams of candied treats.
- -Bring water and sugar to a boil
- -add cleaned and cut Wild Ginger rhizomes
- -bring to a boil
- -reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour
- -When cooled to room temperature pour syrup mix and Wild Ginger into a glass jar.
- -let sit closed for 3 days.
- -Pour off syrup and boil till it reaches 125 degrees Celsius.
- -Add Wild Ginger and boil for 15 minutes.
- -When room temperature, remove Wild Ginger to a rack and allow to drip dry.
- -When no more syrup is dripping from the rhizomes roll the pieces in sugar, making sure they are thoroughly coated.
- -Let Ginger pieces sit in sugar overnight or for 8 hours.
- -Shake off excess sugar and put your candied Wild Ginger in a sealed jar.
- – It will keep for years if it does not get consumed first.
Recipe for Wild Ginger Pancake Syrup
Add the sugar from coating the Ginger to the syrup and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Bottle it in sterile jars or decorative bottles where it should keep for a couple of months in a cool dark place. If not using sterile vessels it will keep in the fridge for an equal length of time.